Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Prize: Mugging With the Master, Maynard Flip-Flap

It was when I watched Maynard Flip-Flap's show that day that I experienced the first true terror of my expedition. Maynard's a variety performer of immense talent and brilliant subtle manipulation of audience. He won the 2006 Jester Tournament at Muncaster. His show was hysterical, and I hope I can take you to see him someday. His show is an assemblage of the sort of stunts that make you first ask, "Why would anyone want to do that?", and then ask, "Why would anyone want to do that So Very, Very Well?" He tried to hide in a very low hedge; he stuck a Hob-Nob on his forehead and then wriggled it down into his mouth; he balanced audience shoes on his nose; he clambered through a wire clothes hanger; he caught an egg in a colander attached to a helmet. He's hilarious and mildly disdainful and Just What One Wants in a funny man. I'm terrified of him. It's great. And he said, "We've got to get our mouths together," and this shot was born.

No comments: